'Out of the cradle, endlessly rocking...'

Thursday, March 3, 2011

what's a liberal...

     For a long time I thought of myself as a 'conservative'.  Then it occurred to me that the word has been corrupted beyond salvaging - those who pass as 'conservatives' don't want to conserve anything of value.  They just want to keep their noses stuck in a ledger and count their pennies as they lumber past the graveyard.  So, by current lights, I'm not a 'conservative'. 
     So, am I a 'Liberal'?  It's tempting - I have a thing for Adam Smith, and think quite highly of suspect characters like Milton and Hume.  Still, we face the same problem: 'Liberal' has been likewise corrupted.  'Liberals' nowadays care nothing about justice and truth, liberality and generosity.  No, they'll go along with any corrupt, authoritarian political machine as long as they get two things - lots of swag on the public dime, and the license to kill children deemed inferior or otherwise unwanted.
     What's a middle-aged business owner who writes poetry and loves classical theology to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment