'Out of the cradle, endlessly rocking...'

Monday, October 3, 2016

a story, revised...

A Very Short Story



     He felt the other standing over his shoulder and looked down, shaking his head and laughing softly.
     Never thought you’d find me
     The other leaned on the bar and said simply, I knew I would eventually.
     Should have known better I guess. 
     I guess. There was a pause, silence, then, Want to finish your drink?
     He held up his glass and looked through the scotch. Yeah. That’d be good. 
     Take your time, I’ll be outside.
     I’ll be along directly.
     He watched the other leave, finished his drink, then all unhurried wrote something on a napkin. He left it with some money on the bar, carefully stood and slowly walked across the nearly empty space, admiring once more the high ceiling with its intricate designs.
     When he reached the revolving door, he stopped, smiled slightly, said to himself, So this is how it is, and walked into the light of midday.

No comments:

Post a Comment