'Out of the cradle, endlessly rocking...'

Wednesday, September 23, 2020

something something handmaid's tale...

What if - now go with me here, this is kind of crazy - what if - and I know how this is going to sound - what if we're not - look, I can hardly believe I'm saying this - what if we're not living in a television show or even a movie? I know, right? It's just crazy, but there it is. I can't shake this feeling that this is all *real*, you know? That it might even be bad for us to explain this real life using the plots of television shows and movies. Like, maybe we should, I don't know, life life straight with no chaser. Who knows? This lived life could then help us understand television shows and movies. If I really wanted to go completely off the rails I would say there is a stark difference between life and a work of art, that life never has the completeness, the sense of timelessness, of a great film or even a great television show (there have been only a few of these, and sadly, The Handmaid's Tale isn't one of them). But no, you're right, these are the warblings of a mind under strain from overwork and time spent away from the comforts of home. This is a time of national crisis. It has to be. Movies and television shows tell us it is. They tell us that dark forces are encircling us even now, dark forces that will create a dystopia we can binge watch through our living room windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment