'Out of the cradle, endlessly rocking...'

Sunday, February 10, 2013

more books...

     You know, I've never read Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights. I know, right? So, I'm looking through past issues of The Emily Dickinson Journal, and I come upon an essay entitled 'Emily's Heathcliff: Metaphysical Love in Dickinson and Bronte', by one Gary Lee Stonum: 'In debating these questions [concerning Dickinson's understanding of love and her evocation of love in her poetry] we typically think first of the poet's actual or imagined experience rather than her reading. Yet reading was experience for her, so a number of letters and poems attest.' How then does Bronte's novel impinge on Dickinson's poetry, particularly 'I cannot live with You -' (Fr706)? 
     I have no idea, as I have yet to read the essay. I have yet to read the essay, because I have yet to read Wuthering Heights. Now, I did not avoid the novel, no, I've just been off doing other things. Well, those other things have now run me smack into the thing, so it's time to read it. Funny how things work, ain't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment