'Out of the cradle, endlessly rocking...'

Saturday, December 28, 2013

prattling on about a book...


     So, a copy of the classic text and translation of Bernard of Clairvaux's The Steps of Humility arrived today from Engelond. In addition to the essay by Bernard himself, the translator gives us an introductory study of Bernard's epistemology. It's a delightful example of old school scholarship in medieval philosophy and theology. 


Here you see the volume itself. It was published in 1940. The Latin text of De gradibus humilitatis et superbiae is that edited first by one Barton Mills and published in 1926 by Cambridge University Press in a volume entitled Selected Treatises of S. Bernard of Clairvaux. I happen to have that little volume as well.


     The volume that arrived today actually has many uncut pages. This is what they look like.




     Now, it was common for books of this vintage to have uncut pages. The reader would cut them as needed. That said, I was not expecting any in this particular book, but find 'em I did, all through the book. So, I get to cut them, which is something I haven't done in a long time. What's more, this tells me that I will be the first to read this copy since it was printed in 1940.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment