'Out of the cradle, endlessly rocking...'

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

an 'atheist church' you say...

     Seems that someone has founded an 'atheist church' in England. (Or is it in Britain? It can be so hard to keep track of such things.) Now, the tedium of this development boggleth the mind. There are some few 'edgy, progressive' Christian and other types who imagine that this is of course another edgy and progressive appropriation of 'church' by yet another edgy and progressive gaggle.
     They are of course wrong.
     You see, my friends, there is The Church, otherwise known as One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic; also known as Hard To See and Shipwrecked; there is, I say again, The Church, and there are all the other gaggles we like to form and found. This gaggle in Brenglelond sounds like any other voluntary association, and I wish 'em well, really I do. But what they have there is not a church.
     Having said that, I await eagerly the hymnody sure to flourish in their midst. One could even call their central confession The Tedium. They can indulge witlessly in all manner of supposedly comforting rituals, and cultivate fake community all the live long day. It'll keep 'em off the streets at least. For me and mine, to spend time telling anyone why the whole venture is boring, stupid, and ultimately self-defeating would itself be boring, stupid, and ultimately self-defeating.
     If I were an atheist, I would avoid anything modified with 'church'. I might take up table-tennis, or learn how to break into bank vaults, anything to avoid spending time with people who imagine there is such a thing as an 'atheist church'.
     Peace out all, even you atheists.

No comments:

Post a Comment