'Out of the cradle, endlessly rocking...'

Sunday, January 20, 2013

'the church thing' isn't a thing...

     I found this, apparently from Kathleen Norris' The Cloister Walk, a book I've never read:

     'I should try telling my friends who have a hard time comprehending why I like to spend so much time going to church with Benedictines that I do so for the same reasons that I write: to let words work the earth of my heart. To sing, to read poetry aloud, and to have the poetry and the wild stories of scripture read to me. To respond with others, in blessed silence. That is a far more accurate description of morning or evening prayer in a monastery than what most people conjure up when they hear the word ‘church’.'

     Yes. 
     I must read that book.
     Oh, and I must find some Benedictines. It's been a long time since I spent time with 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment