'Out of the cradle, endlessly rocking...'

Saturday, January 5, 2013

under the same management only different...

     I serve at the pleasure of the Steve Jobs, who lives and walks amongst us.
     Really, it's true - he's a ferret named 'Bill', and he now belongs to a ten year old boy in Westerville, Ohio.
     Well.
     I doubt any of that is true, but for all that I type this iddy biddy post on a new Macbook. It's so thin and light, and truth be told it's good for all the work I do, so there you go. The only annoying thing about it so far is the 'delete' key, which is in fact a backspace key. It's confusing as hell.
     Details people!
     As you can see, we've returned to the ER offices, and have spent a week or so cleaning the place and unpacking boxes. We came back for various reasons, not least of which is the simple fact that I missed it. Nothing else I've tried has ever felt right. So, ER it is.
     Of course, I'm in a rather different place than when last ER was a going concern. I am now a small business owner; I've won awards for sales and customer service; our office occupies part of an actual house; and and and, get this dear reader (whoever may be left), I have paid off all our debts.
     That's right, the once carefree amateur theologian and poet extraordinaire that you once knew so well is now cumbered with cares of every stripe. I meet payroll. I train and manage employees. I own a company. My family has, dare I say it, money. Not, you know, a lot, but lessee, before we had none, and now we have some, and my extensive math studies remind me that some > none, ergo and qed.
     This has changed our lives dramatically, but I remain as ever a poet and amateur theologian with a taste for Greek and Latin. Then, well, there is the Church Thing, which remains unresolved as of this post. So, you see, there is still a mess. Not all is well in Denmark. So all is well.
     I'm reminded of these lines from Warren Zevon, who could be the patron saint of ER: 'Still out here in the wind and rain/I look a little older but I feel no pain/And it stands to reason that I'm/Still looking for love, still looking for love'. Yes, that's me my only friends - a little older, a little wiser, a whole lot happier, and still still still looking almost desperately for those traces of the Love which moves the Sun and other Stars. I hope a few of my old readers who migrated with me to The Pebbled Shore will find their way back here. I hope some few newer folk will stumble on the place. I hope fake stat services will stop screwing with my numbers.
     I hope, in short, to keep ER for a long time to come. There may be further changes coming, but ER will always be mine and yours.
     Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment