'Out of the cradle, endlessly rocking...'

Sunday, January 6, 2013

of God and the gods...

     I am a weird sort of monotheist.
     You see, it wouldn't surprise me if I ran into Apollo, or Athena. Of course, they would be creatures, but strange creatures all the same. It's no stunner that Milton limned his Gabriel and Michael and the other angelic powers as gods. They're embodied, albeit differently than us humans; they bleed lichor like the Olympians; they live off ambrosia. They are ultimately indestructible. The battles in heaven resemble the almost farcical combat between the gods before the gates of Troy in the Iliad.
     So again, Kalypso, Athena, Apollo, Dionysius - for all I know, there are creatures out there with those names. Creatures, mind you, who for a while didn't mind making humans worship 'em. I have it on good authority that such Powers and Principalities have been defeated and subdued.
     Yes, I confess the one true God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Yet, there are no doubt strange creatures most of us  now imagine, superstitious hypermoderns that we are, were drawn as fictions to while away the hours. Then again, I believe in transfigured Russian saints with fire streaming from their fingertips and all kinds of other wonders.
     Sue me.
     In that Spirit I am drawn to ask, when all creatures bow the knee to Jesus, will Zeus be among them?

No comments:

Post a Comment